Thursday, March 1, 2007

Aliens are scary

I can't believe I actually beat Craig T to a conservative, politcal news story, but here goes. I hope I make him proud.

Florida Democratic State Senator Frederica Wilson has written and submitted a bill to outlaw the term "illegal alien". Why you ask? Because to her, an alien is someone from "out of space". That's right, little green men. When she hears the term "alien", she thinks sci-fi creatures from outer space. I think Frederica has seen one too many movies. She prefers "immigrant" instead of "alien".

The first thing that irks me about this is that it's her personal opinion. Lately, it seems like we are being submitted to more and more legislation that is geared toward pushing the lawmakers personal agenda. It seems like they have forgotten why they are there, they were voted in to represent their constituents and what they want. Are her constituents offended by the term? What issues to they want her to be working on and solving? My guess is use of the term "illegal alien" is not real high on their list. Listen, just because senator Wilsons mind operates at a 3rd grade level and causes her to think about martians when the term "alien" is used, doesn't mean the rest of us do. It doesn't matter what you think senator Wilson, you were voted on to represent other people, aside from yourself, so do it.

Secondly, she also claimed, "They are immigrants, through no fault of their own, not aliens." Um, I think it is their fault. They came here. We didn't go there. I know we all came from immigrants at some point, who's bringing blame into this? Why is it someone's 'fault'?

Thirdly, she said the first word wasn't as bad as the second and added "'Illegal,' I can live with, but I like 'undocumented' better." Which brings me to my next gripe. They are illegal. I think its important that we remember that. I'm tired of seeing the signs and hearing the protests "We aren't criminals" and "They didn't do anything wrong". Well, nothing besides break the law. If I go on an auto theft spree, am I a criminal? What if I hold up a sign that says "I'm not a criminal". That must make it ok, right? No, you break the law, you are criminal. That's the breaks. I have nothing wrong with immigrants, you can be an immigrant here legally and not break any laws. In which case, we won't call you 'illegal' or a criminal. But the illegal ones, they broke the law, so we are fully justified in using the term illegal and not feeling a bit of guilt about it.

But what can we expect from someone who said it was alright for taxpayers to be cheated out of thousands of dollars because it was not an "egregious" crime. I guess it's ok for me to go around stealing purses and credit cards then, because at least its not egregious.