Friday, February 23, 2007

What next, gum?

In an interesting move, New York is considering banning the use of iPods while crossing the street. I know some people have a difficult time chewing gum and walking at the same time, but I didn't know it extended to iPods as well. One of the state senators says that it has reached the endemic stage and is becoming a nationwide problem. People are just walking along, listening to music, walking out in front of buses.
Banning them and cell use while driving I can understand, but while walking is a bit much for me. At least the proposal does include all 'electronic gadgetry' such as Blackberries, cell phones, and video games. (To which I would like to add, if you are playing a video game while walking the streets, I hope that you are a child, in which case you should be with a responsible adult who is keeping an eye on you. If you are an adult and walking down the street playing portable video games, you should be fined regardless).
You can read the entire article here:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/02/07/nyc.ipod.reut/index.html