Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Dillard House, Dillard, GA Trip

The wife and I recently went to Dillard, GA just trying to get away from it all for a day or so. I remembered as a kid, we used to go to the Dillard House in Dillard to have a nice meal every once in a while, and that they had horseback riding and it was nestled in the mountains with good views all around. Sadly, I would not recommend anyone stay at the Dillard House or give John Dillard any more money. Here's why:
So, we went online, booked a room, and reading over the site, Jeni was all excited about horseback riding, waking up to a great view, no Internet, hiking, and a nearby Drive In Theatre (that happened to be playing two movies we wanted to see as a double feature, I do recommend Blades of Glory and Shooter, both good films). So, we checked in, and went to our room. The place had to have been built in the 1800's. It was not much of a room (after the 15 minutes it took us to find it). The toilet was constantly running and the shower was too, you walk into the room and it sounded like running facits. Not a pleasure flowing creek, it sounded like toilet running. This was at roughly 4:30 pm. I called the front desk and reported it, and they said they'd send someone to look at it. We sat on the deck in the rocking chairs for a few (15 minutes at best) and then headed off to dinner, walking around and putt-putt at Tuska-something Falls and then to the drive-in theatre. Like I said, double feature. Didn't get back to the room until 12:30 am. Toilet still running, shower still running. I know I can't sleep in there. (The beds were harder than rocks too and everything past my knee hung off it, but I could have dealt with that). So we went up to the front desk to tell them. Well, they have no after hours maintenance. They can't do anything after hours. 24/7 is not in their vocab. They had two other rooms left. We went to check them out. The first, also has a running toilet. And it was right next to the bed. Seriously. It looked more like a prison cell. The next room was actually two rooms connected by a bathroom. The bathroom had a tub only (because it isn't the 21st century in GA yet) and each room had a twin bed. And frankly, I've slept on couches bigger than these twin beds. Plus, the door didn't lock on one of the rooms. So, out of rooms, we went to get a refund. Plus, I wonder if during a 15 minute stay, if anyone has ever put in 3 work orders. Well, no one can give you a refund at the Dillard house. No one. Absolutely, no one. I was told to call the business office the next day and MAYBE they could help, that is if they believe me, if they are willing to, and if Jupiter aligns correctly with Mars. Frustrated, we drove to the Days Inn down the rode and stayed. After some very productive flea market shopping the next morning, we went to the business office. **Side Note: The Rabun County flea market is loaded with Dale Earnhardt merch, I'm not sure news of his death has spread there yet, but didn't want to inform them for fear of what they may have done to me** At the business office, they didn't want to even talk to me. Seriously, Jeni and I were standing in an office with two people in it and both of them ignored us until we spoke up. For a minute, I thought I had my invisibility shield on, then remembered I didn't have one, I was merely a disgruntled customer. After explaining my situation (which I could tell they had advance notice of, that guy at the front desk probably wrote something nasty about me), they didn't care to help. They said I would have to talk to John Dillard. Himself, the John Dillard of Dillard House and Dillard, GA. No one in that town can give a refund for anything except John Dillard. And he was unable to be contacted on Saturdays. Again, there is no 24/7, there is no 'on duty'. (By the way, when I had asked the front desk guy the night before what he would do if something happened and there was an emergency, who would be contact? He said '911, sir, they handle that kind of thing'. I told him my boss would never go for that answer.) Worthless to argue with lower class citizens, we left. First of all, I have a hard time believing that Mr. Dillard is the only one authorized to give a refund in that town. Secondly, one of the few things that sets me off it getting ripped off and I felt my refund odds were slim to none. Getting ripped off, it makes my blood boil. I'm a nice guy 99% of the time, just don't rip me off. In fact, those two figureheads at the business office said I only had a chance at a full refund or even a partial one. I already had plans in my head for www.avoiddillardhouse.com and was very, very upset with a side of that punched in the stomach feeling. Needless to say, we didn't feel like giving any more money to the Dillards and called to cancel our horseback riding that afternoon. Only to find out that it had already been cancelled for us, by the Dillard House no less. Yeah, the stable person seemed as shocked as I was that it had been cancelled by them and not us.
Now, it is important to say, I did get a call in about an hour to say that I had in fact gotten authorized for a full refund. Which I was very happy about. Guess, where I go to get the refund? The front desk. They can process it afterall I guess. So, thank you Mr Dillard for my refund, but next time, why don't you update your hotel/inn and bring it into at least the 20th century. I don't ask for much, a queen sized bed at least, working shower and toilet, and a locking door. It's not much. The Days Inn, Ramada Inn, and Quality Inn down the street, they all qualify. They even have free breakfast. And next time, how about you make the refund process and complaint process and maintenance process a lot easier, you know, like a legitimate hotel instead of all this smoke and mirrors trying to get an answer. I know had Jeni and I not stayed on top of the situation, that refund would never have happened. Wait, wait, wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. There will be no next time.