Saturday, April 28, 2007

NFL Draft

Just a few hours left until the NFL Draft. Thank goodness! Now, mind you, I enjoy, or maybe I should say, enjoyed, watching the NFL Draft for years. I was one of those guys that watched the entire first day and parts of the second (during NASCAR commercial breaks). But lately, it has gotten to be overkill. ESPN has been 24/7 nonstop draft coverage for about 2 weeks now. Do we seriously need that much draft coverage? Anyone who thinks they know anything about football has an opinion and mock draft. For that very reason, I'm not making one. Although, I feel I am more qualifed that some these goobers. Besides, with the trades and unpredictability of it, you can't be right anyway. Mel Kiper (who has never coached a team and seemingly has no qualifications for this job other than watching a ton of football and knowing all the players) doesn't really do that well at handicapping the draft. I heard the other day, he's correctly forecasted something like 12 first round picks over the last 2 years. I could have done that. He picks correctly less than 25% of the time. I already know Monday, all these talking heads and writers will have grades on how their team did in the draft. That's all nonsense. It doesn't matter until Sundays, possibly even Sundays 2-3 years from now. No one ever gives the Patriots good grades on their drafts, but they seem to be reloading that team fine through the draft. Always have. You know why? Because their talent scouts are way better than anyone on ESPN. They are better than you and me. What do we know. If Mel Kiper really had any clue what he was talking about, he would have been hired by a team years ago. So keep in mind as you are watching the draft and Mel and everyone keeps telling you the "best players available" and who a team should pick, that they have no clue what they are talking about. It's a guess, just like you or I could have made given months to prepare.
Enjoy the draft everyone.