Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Nooma - Extended

Jeni and I had the chance to see Rob Bell speak on Monday night in Atlanta. It was pretty cool. I mean, we've seen most of the Nooma videos so we know what he looked like. We'd heard his sermons online a lot, so we knew what he sounds like and the way he teaches. And we've read one of his books. But still, to see him in real life was interesting.
I thought it was odd that the whole thing was just like a really long Nooma video. Basically, they dim the lights, play some music, lights come up and he comes out and just jumps right into it. No, "Hi, how are you doing" or anything like that. And at the end, they bring the music up as he is making his final points, he says "God Bless" and that's it. He walks off.
The biggest thing I disagreed with all night was that everyone gave him a standing ovation at the end. I guess I just don't think a preacher should get a standing O, I mean, technically, if his heart is right, that is God speaking through him, right? I just think that many people there were standing to praise Rob and not God.
Maybe that's why there were so many street preachers outside warning of false prophets and how we were told we were all going to Hell because we went to hear Rob speak. How we were biblically illiteric and being led astray. I just wonder if they would being saying the same things if any one was preaching. Anyone other than them that is. I mean, if Billy Graham is talking, do they say the same things?
Anyway, if you get a chance to hear him, I strongly suggest it. His stuff will really make you think. If you know don't who he is, check out the below clip.