Friday, May 4, 2007

Beware the Atom

This is Day 1 of my attempt to blog much, much more. In fact, I plan on expanding this blog to cover more ground, not only with what I write about, but with links and recurring features. Sports takes, politics, computers, the life and times of what it is like to live in South Carolina.

Which is what today's is about. Life in South Carolina while waiting in line in Dollar General. In fact, if you want a laugh, I advise that experience. Long story short, this low IQ redneck was discussing her rowdy kids with the cashier. Basically, she makes a big deal that her kid is not named after a biblical name, but is instead named "Atom". Pronounced "Adam". She said, "Atom, A-t-o-m, you know, like the Atom Bomb". Um, you mean the atomic bomb? I've never heard of an atom bomb. Is that when one atom blows up? Does it make that much of a difference if one blows up? Would anyone notice?

It bewilders me why someone would name their kid after something they had no clue about. I seriously doubt she even knows what an atom is. Atom. Named after something that doesn't exist, the "atom bomb". I feel sorry for the kid. No wonder he's rowdy, he looked like he'd lost a few protons. He's unstable. Atom. This is why the naming of kids should go through the same process as naming horses. You have to submit it to an organization with a worthwhile reason for chosing that name, it has to be meaningful, it has to make sense, etc. That's why "Atom Bomb" will never win the Kentucky Derby. "Atomic Bomb" might though. Out.