Thursday, June 14, 2007

Driving in St Thomas

I'm in St Thomas this week for work, let me just say, you don't want to drive here. You don't. They are missing two crucial elements to being able to find your way around on a mysterious island, road signs and lines on the road. There are no street signs. In talking with the people in the office, they think it's funny. It's not. We invented road signs for a reason. They just find places "by feel" and by landmarks. Seriously. "Up and left" were directions to the mountaintop cafe. Really? I couldn't have figured that out on my own.
The other frustrating thing is that nothing is open. Yesterday was ok because the cruise ships were in town so stuff was open. Today, its a ghost town. The 5th restaraunt I went to I ate at. The first 4 were either closed or having a private party. Average opening time, 10 am. Average closing time, 4 pm. Even my bank is open more than that. I went out for lunch today and it was just weird to see so many things closed up just because there weren't any cruise ships in.
I won't even start on the "taxi's" (there are really F350's with bench seats in the bed and a canopy), narrow streets, people parking where ever they feel like it (including on the street) or the fact that they drive on the left and the cars aren't modified to be steered on the right.
If you come to St Thomas, bring money for a "taxi" and be prepared to walk. Oh, and dress cool, it's so hot here, that even I think its hot. Now, that's hot.