Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Pool

Jeni and I just got back from the neighborhood pool. We've lived in this subdivision for just over 2 years now (25 months) and today was our first trip to the pool. I figure, based on the percentage of our homeowners dues that go toward keeping the pool around times 2 years worth of dues, it probably cost us about $100/person in HOA dues to make the trip, especially since we took the shrub lined walkway (landscaping makes up a large percentage of the dues too). However, since its our first trip to the pool in a while, we were also pretty pasty white. Even after I took my white t-shirt off, all the other people at the pool area probably still thought I had it on. I'm also shockingly out of shape. After we got in the water, we decided to swim to the other end. 30 minutes later, I gave up about 3/4 of the way there and walked to the end, out of breath and out of energy. A couple minutes later, determined, I tried to swim back. I almost made it 60% of the way there before deciding that floating back made much more sense, given that proceeding any further and Jeni would be carrying me home. I was exhausted. We floated around a while, and then retreated back to our beach towels. I don't think I could ever be a swimmer. It seems like an awful lot of work to go 100 yards and back. And its dangerous. It's a lot easier to drown that it is to take a walk in the park. All in all, I'm glad to have my feet back on solid ground and be back in front of a computer. Home sweet home. Some people were just not meant to be fish.