Saturday, August 25, 2007

Tech Support

I'm getting tired of Technical Support not actually wanting to offer me technical support. First, let me note that I am a computer technician, so when I call for tech help, its not because the power is out and I can't get my computer to turn on. Basically, I had a call in with McAfee earlier in the week with their SpamKiller add on for Groupshield and then another call with permissions problems on my Goodlink server. Both techs kept offering me knowledge base articles that they were confident would fix my problem. Now, I'm not against knowledge base articles, I'd be lost without them most of the time, especially the MS ones. But we (my company) pays a lot of money for the "gold" support yearly from these places, I'm not interested in milling through a complicated knowledge base article by myself. We pay for tech support so you can walk us through it. It's bad enough that I had to go to college just to learn Indian so that I can communicate with tech support, I'm sure as heck not going to just have someone give me a useless knowledge base article and say "call if you need help". No, I already called because I needed help. The Goodlink tech must have offered me 3 different articles, and he would have probably offered more if I hadn't told him after the 3rd time that he wasn't getting me off the phone until we solved the issue and he was going to walk me through it whether he liked it or not. Of course, I got that typical, "there's no need to get angry sir" speech. I hope I'm not the only one out there who's gotten that. I would hate to see what some of these companies have listed for me in the databases. It just gripes me, if I wanted to read the manual or a knowledge base article, I would have read the manual, but I didn't, I paid my yearly maintenance contract and I want support. Grrrr.