Thursday, October 25, 2007

Life of a President

Political musings for a change...
I was following a car in this morning that was covered in politcal bumber stickers and I got to thinking. We can remove the two term limit for a president now. I'm not sure if anyone, Republican, Democrat, any party, could survive more than 2 terms in our current culture. As the end of the 8 years approaching, the media, Internet and opposing party have been working so hard for so long at making the current President look bad, that the American psyche buys into it. Bush wouldn't stand a chance at getting elected a 3rd term, and maybe I'm wrong, but Clinton wouldn't have either. If I remember correctly, we were all ready for a change. And whoever is elected this coming election, if they are re-elected, you watch, about midway through their second term, everyone will be against them and ready for a new president.
In my opinion, FDR was one of the greatest presidents we ever had. It makes me wonder if he would have gotten elected for that 3rd or 4th term in today's society. What if thousands of bloggers, Steven Colbert, SNL, CNN, MSNBC, all who are going to find faults with, point out mistakes, mock, and generally doubt everything about any one elected president? It's got to wear on the person and I know it wears on the public.
I don't want you think I'm some kind of Bush supporter or apologetic, just musing some on the matter.
Nowadays, perception is reality, and with the world getting smaller everyday, I think the media has a big say in altering that perception. FDR wouldn't stand a chance. That Hoover Dam is one penny over budget and CNN would blast him up one side and down the other. Environmentists would be all over him for all the road construction, city rebuilding, etc.
Just something to think about...