Friday, January 26, 2007

Super Bowl Parties

Ok, there is a huge Super Bowl preview on the way in a couple days where I will give all my thoughts on the game, but first, Super Bowl parties.

Every year, I feel the need to go to a Super Bowl party in order to get the full Super Bowl experience. I mean, it's the Super Bowl for crying out loud. You can't just watch it by yourself.
But at the same time, every year I come away disappointed. Half the people there make the same lame "I'm just here for the commercials" joke, like I haven't heard that a million times. In fact, whenever someone says that, all I'm thinking is "Great, now I have to listen their running commentary throughout the game (as if NFL announcing wasn't bad enough these days), answer their questions about what is going on, and listen to them belittle the game and comment on how they would make it better. It's like someone who doesn't vote commenting on what the government should do, except worse. Just because it's the Super Bowl, people think they can get by with all this stuff. If the roles were reversed and a bunch of football fans went to a recital or scrapbooking class or whatever, do you think that type of behavior would fly? Of course not. So why does it work for the Super Bowl. Plus, everyone has to be quiet during the commercials, but everyone gets to talk during the game? I will never understand this. Even through there are people there just for the commercials, and I'm not against that at all, its still a football game. Isn't it? Maybe it isn't. It rarely seems to properly reflect the NFL season, the timing and pace are all off, and its way overhyped. Comments? Anyone? Am I in left field about Super Bowl parties? Maybe I've just had bad experiences.
Oh well, what's the big deal right? It's only one football game. Had these commercial watchers 'enjoyed' the entire football season, they probably would flitch every time they saw Peyton during the game from being inundated with all his commercials all season long.
I've seen some interesting betting lines for the Super Bowl, but I'm proposing some new ones:

Over/Under on Peyton Manning commercials during the Super Bowl. I'm setting it at 19.
52 if you include the pregame show.

Total Peyton Manning appearances (including pregame/postgame/during game/halftime clips/commercials). 1438
Better hope you don't have HD, cause that's a lot of Peyton.

Place your bets.