Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Excerpts from real life conversations II

Last night I went to a major chain sub shop for dinner. The cashier was not the brightest in the world.
So, I'm ordering my sub and it goes like this, "I want a medium xxx sub combo with no mustard".
She replies, "At all?"

I was thinking, of course, "at all". Am I missing something? Do some people ask for only mustard on parts? Is there an option for mustard on the first 1/4 and middle 1/3 of the sandwich? Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I said, "yes... no mustard on the entire sandwich". She had kinda a half confused, half stunned look on her face. I was worried. My wife had ordered prior to me and had answer the question "For here or to go" with "to go". So I thought I was off the hook on that question, but nope. "Would you like that to go as well?". I mean, we are on the same tab, is it often that one person is to go and one is to stay?
Anyway, I didn't feel the need to get too smart with her cause 1) I didn't think she'd get it and 2) I didn't want her spit in my sandwich. It might lower my IQ. So I just said "Yes, it's still to go".